This FAQ page addresses some concerns and questions readers may have about Wikipedia.
په ويکيپېډيا کې څنګه پلټنه وکړم؟
- د ويکيپېډيا په مخ باندې ښي لور ته يو وړوکی پلټن-بکس ورکړ شوی دی چې تر لاندې يې د پلټل او ورځه تڼۍ ځای پر ځای شوي. په همدغه چوکاټ کې چې تاسو د هر څه پلټنه غواړۍ، د هغه نوم وليکۍ او بيا د پخپل ليکدړې باندې د Enter تڼۍ کېښکاږۍ او يا هم دورځه تڼۍ يا د پلټل تڼۍ کليک کړۍ. د لا نورو مالوماتو لپاره ويکيپېډيا:پلټنه وګورۍ.
- You can also use Google to search Wikipedia by following this link. The Google index will be somewhat outdated, however, as their bots only search on a periodic basis, and may not yet have caught up with our latest edits.
- Some browsers allow searching Wikipedia via their URL/Location bar, for example Konqueror, Firefox, and Internet Explorer 7. This is commonly accessed by typing "wp Main Page", but may change according to the browser settings, please check the documentation on whether this feature is in your browser and how to configure it.
- It can also easily be added to the URL/Location bar of Opera by right-clicking the Wikipedia search box and selecting Create search.
- User:AxelBoldt has created some bookmarklets for Wikipedia searching. You can get them here. That page also explains how to set up a shortcut in Firefox to have Google search all Wikipedias at once.
- Finally, if you would like to search for Wikipedia articles in multiple languages, you can try the little-known but very cool multi-lingual Wikipedia search tool (currently disabled).
- As you enter text in the search box, it may auto-fill the box. This may be done by Wikipedia or by your browser. By default, Wikipedia will show a list of suggestions based on the entered text. To disable this you must have an account and must be logged in. Go to Special:Preferences, select the Search tab, check the box by 'Disable AJAX suggestions' and click the Save button at the bottom.
- When the search suggestions are disabled, your browser may keep a history of searches or may auto-fill— these may be cleared through a browser option:
- Internet Explorer 7: Tools → Internet Options → General → Delete → Form Data → Delete Forms → Yes
- Firefox 3: Tools → Clear Private Data → Saved Form and Search History → Clear Private Data Now
- Safari: Edit → Preferences → AutoFill → Edit → Other Forms; remove Wikipedia from the list
- AJAX suggestions may be temporarily disabled if the servers exhibit performance issues.
په ويکيپېډيا کې بياپلټنه څنګه وکړم؟
- You can see information about researching with Wikipedia here.
د ويکيپېډيا د مېنځپانګې د لايسنس تړون څه دی؟
- Wikipedia articles are all open content and are covered by the GNU Free Documentation License. See Wikipedia:Copyrights.
کولای شم چې د ويکيپېډيا ليکنې پخپل وېبځي کې کېږدم؟ څومره يادونه ترېنه کولای شم؟
- You may mirror or quote as much as you wish, as long as you maintain the text under the GNU Free Documentation License. See Wikipedia:Copyrights.
If I link a word from my site to Wikipedia, am I required to use the GNU FDL for my site?
- No. Linking is not an act regulated by copyright, so the GNU FDL does not apply.
What if I use a small quote (three or four sentences)?
- No, since it is covered by the fair use doctrine.
What if I quote entire articles?
- Check with your lawyer, or just put the site under the GNU FDL. However, Wikipedians try to assume good faith, so minor copyright violations are unlikely to result in a lawsuit.
د سي ډي په بڼه ويکيپېډيا لاسته راوړلای شم، او يا يې د بې ليکې کارولو لپاره ښکته کولای شم؟
- SOS Children have published a 2006 Wikipedia CD Selection for schools which may be viewed at Wikipedia CD Selection and is downloadable for free off the charity website at wikipedia cd download page.
- The database can be downloaded here, but you will need to set up a web server, PHP, MySQL and our wiki software, MediaWiki, to make use of it. A paper or CD version of Wikipedia is currently under discussion at Wikipedia:Pushing To 1.0.
- However, several Wikipedians have made various Wikipedia databases available in TomeRaider format for offline reading. See Wikipedia:TomeRaider database for more details.
How do I cite a Wikipedia article in a paper?
- Cite it as you would any other web page in accordance with the normal citation practice the publication you are submitting the paper to follows. Citing the individual authors is not necessary, but you should at least include the date on which you retrieved the article (and ideally the full timestamp from the history).
- Automatically generated citations in several standard styles are available through the "Cite this article" link in the toolbox.
- See Wikipedia:Citing Wikipedia
Why are the backgrounds of some pages light blue and others white?
- Encyclopedia article pages (mainspace) have white backgrounds, while dynamically generated special pages, talk pages, user pages, and about-Wikipedia pages have light blue backgrounds. This is intended as a visual cue that you're not in the encyclopedia per se.
- (Note: This answer is dependent on which skin you are currently using. For more information, see Help:Preferences on MetaWiki.)
What should I do when I find a factual error in Wikipedia?
- You should correct it. (See Wikipedia:Contributing FAQ.) Wikipedia is written by volunteers who believe knowledge should be free for everyone, and the community is always ready to welcome new volunteers.
- Because Wikipedia is an all-volunteer project that anyone can edit, errors or omissions can and do creep in. This should be kept in mind when reading; the very nature of Wikipedia means it should not be trusted completely. Articles frequently contain citations of authoritative works where a reader can verify the information found.